“WOW! Is that the third time this week I’ve seen this air hose lying across the hallway? And what about the fraying carpet outside of the coffee area? I know I’m not the only one who has tripped over it…”
Think how many times you and coworkers have had thoughts similar to these at the office, or out on the shop floor. Do they come once, maybe twice a month?
When it comes to safety, it’s time to start speaking up. Chances are, you and others are seeing or encountering safety issues once or twice a week. But before you get your electrical cords in a tangle (more than they already are), rest assured there is a solution that works!
Kennametal Find-and-Fix Safety Program
What is the best way to describe it? Exactly as it sounds: you find something and you fix it.
Created by our Environment, Health, and Safety (EHS) Team, this globally recognized safety program has the perfect balance of effectiveness and simplicity. What is the best part about it? We’ve found employees are really latching onto it.
Here’s How It Works:
- Identify a safety hazard (no matter how small) in your working environment.
- Complete the Find-and-Fix template, which is accessible to employees 24/7 via our internal network.
- Meet with a supervisor to determine if the fix should be addressed through an EHS alert or a maintenance work order.
- Follow-up with a photo and brief description of the corrective action.
The program is designed to solve “low-cost to no-cost” safety issues. It’s designed to make employees owners of the “little things” that need fixed in their work areas. Think of it as an opportunity to better your workspace — and take credit for it.
Here’s Why It Works:
- Easy to Use — anyone can feel comfortable calling out a safety issue
- Reinforces Safety — builds the foundation of a strong safety culture
- Perks — employees earn bonus points for each safety alert (plus recognition from coworkers and supervisor)
- Gets to the Point — visually illustrates a problem that needs to be fixed
A Major Driver…
- Kennametal’s manufacturing supervisors lead by example, with a requirement to submit one Find-and-Fix per month. Employees are also encouraged to submit one or more entries per year, but we typically surpass those numbers by a wide margin. In 2014, Kennametal employees completed over 22,000 Find-and-Fixes.
It is everyone’s responsibility to stay safe at work (and beyond). The Find-and-Fix Safety Program makes it easier to do so.
If you’re interested in starting a Find-and-Fix Safety Program at your company, we’re happy to offer suggestions.
Contact an EHS Representative today to get started on a safer tomorrow!
How does working for a company that takes a stance on safety and the environment sound to you? Visit our careers center to see if you could be the next Different Thinker we’re looking for! In the meantime, get to know our EHS Team and how they’re working to keep Kennametal 100% Safe.